Monday, November 9, 2009

Thing 8-Stretch

When I looked at Wikipedia I searched for "cell phone" and it came up with "mobile phone". I noticed the majority of the facts were tagged with a footnote that tells where the author got their information. The information presented seemed valid but it is really difficult to tell. Just by reading/skimming I cannot tell if most information is correct even with all the footnotes. If I wanted to/had time I could check out the sources listed and see if they come from a valid study or site. I never noticed the “Discussion” or “History” tab to look at what others have said about it or review previous versions. People were discussing anything from what to call the title of the wiki (cell phone, hand phone, mobile phone, etc.) to adding a feature to an actual phone about typing a novel on your phone. Since the topic is so popular and current there are over 500 pages of revisions (so even more actual revisions). This was very interesting and eye opening. I wouldn’t feel comfortable updating a wiki unless I felt I was very versed in the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment