Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thing #7a

In my Google Reader, one of the blogs I have in my feed listed the following article (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=762190). It talks about the positive aspect of teaching abstinence sex education from 10 different authors in 6 different studies. (Disclaimer: I have not read the actual studies so I do not know how accurately they were done but I would assume they are done thoroughly and correctly). The author, Valerie Huber, reported "The most significant finding in terms of the effectiveness of abstinence education was that those students [included in the studies] were less likely to initiate sexual activity or to discontinue [sexual activity], which is exactly the purpose of abstinence education." This article caught my eye for many reasons including the fact that my husband will soon be teaching abstinence to his 7th graders. I hope school districts realize the value of this education and keep it or turn to it if they are doing a different approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment