Monday, July 5, 2010

Thing #18

About 2 years ago I discovered www.teachertube.com. I have shown and utilized the informative videos on this site to compliment/enhance lessons with my students. When I taught third grade I showed videos on multiplication. Teachers on their showed different methods and it reached a few of my students who did not understand how to multiply. I showed a clip about prediction for our ELA lesson. There are a lot more videos now than there used to be but you still have to weed through many to find ones that are helpful or you can actually hear it clearly.
On www.youtube.com there are videos for pretty much anything you can think about. How tos, movies (illegal I believe), tv clips, pets, music videos, etc. I can learn a lot and show a lot to students but of course it is important to preview before and make up questions to ask while they are watching or after. Also, it is important to teach the students that they should not believe everything they read, hear, or watch but to do their own research.
This and videos like it are helpful for me to learn other ways to explain teaching concepts to kids:

No comments:

Post a Comment