Monday, July 5, 2010

Thing #17

I went to LearnOutLoud's Why The Science Show For Kids Podcast and added it to my Google Reader. I don’t agree with the some of the science things he teaches so I will not be using them in my classroom. I learned that you can subscribe to podcast without having an iTunes account or iPod. I tried to subscribe to Famous American Podcast from Jamestown Elementary but the Subscribe button wouldn’t bring me to a link to add to my Reader. Since I couldn’t subscribe to this site, I googled “1st grade podcasts” and found Ms. Berthaiume's 1st Grade Class which I subscribed to. I found http://langwitches.org/blog/2009/12/11/podcasting-with-first-grade/ which had a great example of “interviewing” characters in a book. The students can make up the questions they want to know before and during reading and the answers are found while reading. They learn to become more fluent readers, to read more naturally and with tone and inflection. The teacher mentioned these are the things they learned from Langwitches Podcast above: listening, speaking, presenting, comprehension, storytelling, performance, voice acting, oral fluency, media, and technology.

I would love to do this in my classroom but I need to learn how to do and edit, etc. Thankfully in Mesquite ISD we have people who can help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment