Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thing #22

I have a facebook page but thought it was wise to keep it private (only friends can view). You might be able to search me (Rebecca DuLac Hogg) but I don't believe you can see my profile unless I add you as a friend. I use facebook for communicating with my teacher colleagues (reminders and questions and news). I mostly use facebook for communication with friends, family, and our church youth.

It is very important to know how social networking works because of legal issues. Some teachers have had inappropriate/unprofessional pictures taken of them and posted on facebook. We were told teachers could get in trouble whether they posted the pictures themselves or someone else posted them. So if your profile allows friends to see it, those friends should not be parents if you have questionable material on your profile. If your profile allows friends of friends to view it, they can see anything that you have not restricted. This will not be a concern for me though =).

I prefer facebook over myspace as facebook is organized to my learning style. Facebook is also more aesthetically pleasing than myspace. I have to admit, that I can't see a real classroom purpose in facebook unless a teacher made a page only devoted to their class with a separate email. They could communicate with other classes who did the same. However, there are better ways to incorporate classroom technology than using facebook (see previous posts).

No comments:

Post a Comment