Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thing #21

Google has a lot of useful things.

I have created a Picasa album that includes classroom and personal pictures. Here is a link to some of my photos from last year. I try to upload them and have them all together. I want them all together so I can add them to a newsletter, send to someone for the yearbook, or print to put up in the school for parents to view. The pictures are always available whether I want to update a blog from home or school or anywhere. It is helpful that there is a private or public link so I don't have to "bog down" the e-mail server with attachments.

Google Earth is a great resource for a non-fiction representation of the world. The images are from the real world and provide the same or different perspective of places they already know about (schema). You can say to them: "Black Elementary is in Mesquite. Mesquite is in Texas. Texas is in the US. The US is in North America. North America is in the World." However, showing them real images (zooming in and out) instead of a globe or your words provides a whole different meaning to them.

I use Google Calendar but I wish it had a birthday reminder feature. I believe I saw the birthday reminder in Google Labs so hopefully it will be seamlessly integrated into the current Calendar as an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment